The Greatest Colorado Winery Experience You’ve Never Heard Of
Explore the Wild West of American Winemaking with Carboy Winery, a Colorado Winery. Since 2016, our award-winning wines have helped lift the Colorado wine industry into prominence as a wine region ripe with possibilities. Through ambitious winemaking and innovation with new varietal wines, sparkling wines, and wine seltzers, we have helped turn a state known for its beer into one that creates exciting and adventurous wines. We craft impactful wines that reveal the extraordinary terroir and unmistakable typicity of Colorado's Grand Valley and Washington's Horse Heaven Hills AVA's.
A great glass of wine starts in the vineyard, which is why Carboy prides itself on our relationship with our growers and incredible winemaking team. In 2021 we added 30+ acres of estate vineyards in Colorado Wine Country, Grand Valley, Colorado, making us one of the largest producers in the state. Adventuring westward, we expanded our winemaking operation to Washington state's Horse Heaven Hills, planting 30 acres of vines to make and produce our own brand of Washington wines. Our tale of two states embodies the spirit of exploration as we lead the charge into the wild west of American winemaking.
From grape to glass, Carboy is committed to sustainability and helping to shape a more resilient future for the Colorado wine industry. In Colorado Wine Country, through holistic vineyard management, water conservation, and innovative packaging solutions, we continue to reduce our carbon footprint while creating award-winning wines year after year.
Colorado is a state with a rich history of winemaking. The first Colorado vines were planted in the state in the 1860s, and today there are over 100 wineries in Colorado. Colorado wines have won numerous awards and accolades, and the state is home to some of the best wineries in the country. Colorado Wine Country is the best.
Each year, the state hosts the Colorado Governor’s Cup Winemaking Competition. The Colorado Governor’s Cup Winemaking Competition is the only statewide wine-making competition exclusively for Colorado Wineries. The Colorado Governor’s Cup judges consist of sommeliers, wine writers, Masters of Wine, Master Sommeliers, and wine professionals from Colorado and across the country. Every year they gather at Metropolitan State University of Denver’s Hospitality Learning Center to sample more than 200 wines made by Colorado’s winemakers. The judges then select the top 12 wines for the Governor’s Cup Collection, which are tasted at Colorado Uncorked!
Colorado Uncorked is a public tasting of the wines the Governor’s Cup judges selected as the best representations of the Colorado wine industry. Each wine in the Governor’s Cup Collection is paired with notable Denver chefs' small bite tasting menus.
What is the best wine in Colorado? Carboy Winery's Teroldego red wine was named Best in Show for the second year at Colorado Uncorked 2022. Out of 279 wine submissions from 38 wineries, only 12 were selected for the 2022 Governor's Cup Collection. Although selecting the best wine in Colorado is challenging, we’re honored to be considered.
Carboy Winery, the Colorado wine brand, made history within the Mile High City as the first winery to be awarded best wine in Colorado by being awarded Best in Show for the same varietal wine back-to-back years. In addition to the 2020 Teroldego earning the title of Wine of the Year, their Blanc La, La, La Sparkling White Wine, and 2019 Reserve Petit Verdot were also awarded a Double Gold.
Vineyards in Colorado Springs? Although there are no vineyards and only a few wineries in Colorado Springs, Carboy Winery wine can be found in Colorado Springs. Carboy Winery wine can also be found in Denver, Littleton, Palisade, Breckenridge, and surrounding Denver Suburbs. Maybe Carboy Winery will have a winery near Colorado Springs one day, but who knows!
However, Carboy Wine can be found in Colorado Wine Country! The region is known for its stunning scenery, and its wines are some of the best in the state. The Colorado Wine Country is home to many of Colorado's best wineries. The Colorado Wine Festival is one of the state's premier wine events in Palisade. The festival features over 100 Colorado wineries, and it is a great opportunity to sample some of the best wines in the state.
We love participating in the Colorado Wine Festival and host many Colorado Wine festivals ourselves. The Colorado Wine Festival is a great opportunity to sample some of the best wines in the state and is one of the state's premier wine events. Colorado wines have won numerous awards and accolades, and the state is home to some of the best wineries in the country.
Colorado winery tours are top-rated in the Grand Valley in Palisade, Colorado. Colorado is a great place to visit for a wine lover, and there are many ways to enjoy the state's wines. Colorado wineries offer a variety of tours and tastings, and there are also many festivals and events that showcase the state's wines. Carboy Winery at Mt. Garfield Estate hosts Colorado winery tours. The Colorado winery tours include beautiful views, colorado vineyards, and great wine!
Looking for the perfect Colorado wine country inn? If you’re coming to Palisade, Colorado, from Denver, it makes sense to spend a night or two in the Grand Valley! Plan your trip to Palisade with these great suggestions: click here.
Colorado wine country inn suggestions, aka places to stay in Palisade, Colorado:
- Carboy Winery Estate House: Newly renovated winery estate house, just steps from the tasting room at Carboy Winery. The estate house is located on the Palisade Fruit and Wine Byway, with easy access to Colorado’s premiere rafting, hiking, and biking trails. Enjoy a peaceful sunrise overlooking our vineyard and sunsets across Mt. Garfield.
- Spoke and Vine Motel: Spoke and Vine Motel is a freshly reinvented motel with old-yet-sturdy bones, thoughtful design, sustainable features, and clean, comfortable rooms. This is NOT your grandpa’s motel. They believe in kind, attentive service, delicious coffee, quality bedding, good vibes, and rooms that look as good as they feel—all with a healthy dose of snark. It's not the Ritz, after all.
- Colorado Wine Country Inn: Located in the heart of Colorado's wine country and sitting amidst 21 acres of vineyards, the Wine Country Inn offers guests an approachable, authentic wine-country experience. With 80 beautiful rooms, guests' comfort and convenience are always the top priority.
Looking for more suggestions? After your wine tasting at the Colorado wine company Carboy Winery at Mt. Garfield Estate, check out our neighbors! Right across the street is Maison La Belle Vie Winery. French for “House of the Beautiful Life,” Maison La Belle Vie also offers Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Blends, Rose, and Vin de Peche, a recipe from the original owner’s family dating back to the 1800s. We’re also neighbors with Red Fox Cellars, a family-run business that makes unique wine and hard cider, and Vistas and Vineyards B&B.
For many, the word Colorado conjures images of skiing, mountain streams, and breathtaking wilderness. While Palisade boasts the beautiful landscapes that Colorado is famous for, it’s also home to a unique gem. Colorado Wine Country. Known for its premier Colorado wineries, this quaint town in the Grand Valley houses two-thirds of Colorado vineyard acreage and more than one-quarter of Colorado wineries. Sitting atop artesian wells, which provide extra irrigation for the grape growers, the Grand Valley’s microclimate of sunny days, dry air, and cool nights work together to produce plump grapes for the area wineries.
Some wineries close to Carboy Winery at Mt. Garfield Estate include:
- Blue Beryl Winery: This small boutique winery, nestled at the base of Mt. Garfield, is the home to a sunshine-filled estate vineyard and winery run by an ambitious mother-daughter duo. The grapes used to produce these delectable bottles of wine were carefully cared for, harvested, and processed by the winemaker and her family.
- Colorado Vintner's Collective: Colorado Vintner's Collective is a family-owned winery in Palisade, Colorado. Along with the wines produced on-site, the tasting room showcases a curated selection of Colorado wines. The focus is to create an exceptional guest experience while educating patrons on the unique terroir of Colorado and the emerging world-class wines being produced from the region.
- Plum Creek Cellars: Plum Creek Winery has deep roots in Palisade, Colorado, and winemaking history. Operating under Colorado winery license No. 10, Plum Creek is the state's oldest, continuously active winery.Their wines are available in the tasting room, restaurants, and liquor stores throughout Colorado.
- Talon Wines at the Meadery: With three labels, Talon Winery, St. Kathryn Cellars, and Meadery of the Rockies, it’s a Colorado wine company for everyone! Talon Winery is their traditional grape wine label with classic favorites such as Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Pinot Grigio. Most of their grapes are sourced in the Grand Valley to give you an authentic taste of Colorado wine, vine to bottle.
- Grande River Vineyards: Over the decades, Grande River Vineyards has chalked up a rich history as Colorado’s premier estate-grown wine producer. From its location at the base of the state’s western Little Bookcliffs mountain range near the Colorado River, Grande River Vineyards is poised for new growth and innovation. Not to be confused with Colorado River Winery, located in Texas! Colorado River Winery is on the banks of the Colorado River in the Lost Pines of Texas and sits in the town of Bastrop. The historic district of Downtown Bastrop offers a selection of restaurants, shops, and hotels and is the home to the Colorado River Winery.
In Colorado, explore the Wild West of American Winemaking with Carboy Winery, a Colorado Winery. Since 2016, our award-winning wines have helped lift the Colorado wine industry into prominence as a wine region ripe with possibilities. Through ambitious winemaking and innovation with new varietal wines, sparkling wines, and wine seltzers, we have helped turn a state known for its beer into one that creates exciting and adventurous wines. We craft impactful wines that reveal the extraordinary terroir and unmistakable typicity of Colorado's Grand Valley and Washington's Horse Heaven Hills AVA's.
There are many different types of wine, each with its own unique flavor and characteristics. Choosing the right wine for a meal or occasion can be daunting, but it doesn't have to be. Red wine is typically made from darker grapes and has a fuller body than white wine. It is perfect for heartier meals and can be enjoyed with various foods.
Is it the best wine in Colorado? Carboy Winery's Teroldego red wine was named Best in Show for the second year at Colorado Uncorked 2022. Out of 279 wine submissions from 38 wineries, only 12 were selected for the 2022 Governor's Cup Collection. Although selecting the best wine in Colorado is challenging, we’re honored to be considered. Teroldego, which has its roots in northeastern Italy, has recently become more popular in the United States and among vintners in Colorado. Teroldego is ideal for withstanding Colorado’s hot summers and early frosts as a hardy grape that ripens early.
Sparkling wine is a festive wine that is perfect for celebrations. It is typically made from white grapes and has a refreshing flavor. The Colorado Winery, Carboy Winery, offers a variety of Sparkling Wines. The Colorado Winery’s Blanc La La La is a Grüner Veltliner sparkling wine, made in the Charmat Method, which offers fresh aromas of green apple and Asian pear along with hints of apricot and baking spices. Its delicate texture is beautifully balanced by crisp natural acidity. Our
Rosé La La La comes from Horse Heaven Hills AVA, a sub-region of Columbia Valley situated in south-central Washington. The unique soils and warm continental climate provide ideal conditions for cultivating grapes that yield wines of balance and finesse. This complex rosé exhibits dazzling fruit aromas with a subtle floral bouquet that makes this wine something to celebrate daily! Both of these wines are included in our (seasonal) Fa La La La Two Pack!
White wine is made from lighter grapes and has a crisper, more refreshing flavor. It is perfect for lighter fare and can be enjoyed with various foods. We’re currently loving our 2020 Riesling White Wine. Our Carboy Riesling white wine at our Colorado Winery opens with bright stone fruit notes of nectarine and mineral essence on the nose, with concentrated honeysuckle blossom aromas. The crispness compliments the creamy texture and sweet green apple and pear flavors. The balanced acidity gives way to the lingering finish.
No matter what the occasion, there is a wine varietal that is perfect for it. With so many different types of wine to choose from, we know you’ll find a Carboy Wine that you’ll love. Cheers to a unique Colorado Winery experience!